Seasonal Guitar Setup Technician 1
Job ID: 13796
Job Type: Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 24, 2023
Pay Rate: $20.00/hr.
The Guitar Set-Up Technician plays a critical role in the Customer Experience for imported guitar and bass instruments by serving as the final Quality Control gate, and making standard Set-Up Adjustments to ensure instruments are in proper playing condition before allocating to Distribution Centers and Stores. This person must be familiar with common Set-Up and Maintenance procedures for acoustic and electric guitars, basses, and folk instruments. Unlike traditional Technician and Repair focusing on personalized set-up for the instrument owner, this role is focused on high-volume Production Set-Up practices following protocols to verify incoming products meet manufacturing specifications, are free of defects in materials and workmanship, and quickly make standard adjustments to ensure the instruments tune-up and play as designed. This job focuses on batch workflows to ensure accuracy of set-ups and higher through-put of instruments. This position also requires some material handling and supervised repair work with-in a production environment (vs workshop).
- Ability to perform all common inspections, measurements, adjustments, and maintenance tasks for standard Guitar Set-Ups (acoustic, electric, bass) including but not limited to:
- Visual inspection of complete instrument to ensure no aesthetic defects in assembly, woods, materials, finishes, hardware installation, electronics, and logos. Includes detailed inspection of joints, woods, neck, and logos.
- Take measurements and confirm a variety of specifications regarding string action, neck curvature, intonation, and electronics functionality.
- Tactile playing evaluation to ensure adjustments corrected any issues in playability as outline in protocols.
- Follow documentation procedures to record daily work and escalate QA / QC findings.
- Perform select instrument repairs/rework as assigned by shift managers. Collaborate with Senior Technicians to ensure consistent methodology when addressing batch repair projects.
- Assist in the material handling, un-packing, re-packing, labeling and palletizing of a variety of stringed instrument products as needed.
- Assist in inventory control processes as needed.
- Maintain and clean the work environment as needed.
- Maintain and report on any needs related to supplies, tools and other items needed for efficient workflow.
- Offer assistance as needed for any variety of tasks as requested by management.
- Maintain positive, upbeat and dynamic attitude while working with other staff, management and senior officers.
- Meet all requirements for timely processing and delivery of instruments to GC Enterprise customers.
- Follow and execute procedures and policies established by management.
- Working knowledge of industry standard practices for Guitar Set-Up and Repair.
- Intermediate level guitar playing ability and experience with the ability to tune and test stringed instruments.
- Functional knowledge and experience with use of basic hand tools.
- Luthier, Stringed Instrument Repair or Manufacturing experience considered a plus.
- Highly motivated individual with a bias for action and team play able to perform under pressure.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Warehouse environment, subject to moderate temperature changes. There are minimal health hazards due to working on or around a forklift.
Guitar Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides fair and equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐ related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by calling 1‐818-735-8800 ext. 2862 or by sending an email to [email protected].